1. Provide an environment where participants can realize their potential through empowerment and independence.
2. Foster and encourage the unique bond between horses and humans.
3. Be a model of best practices for the Equine-Assisted Activities and Therapy field.
1. Provide safe, effective and fun horseback riding and equine-assisted activities to people of all abilities.
2. Provide a compassionate, caring, nurturing and respectful environment for the NWTRC community.
3. Provide an accessible program which overcomes physical, emotional and financial barriers.
4. Provide a well maintained facility and well cared for animals.
5. Provide expertise and knowledge of therapeutic riding and other equine-assisted activities.
6. Provide a strong and sustainable organization through fiscal responsibility.
Benefits of Therapeutic Riding
Therapeutic Riding (TR) is used to enhance physical, psychological, emotional, and social development for its participants. Physically, TR improves mobility, flexibility, strength, balance, stamina, and coordination. Riding stimulates the digestive system, cardiovascular system, and the respiratory system. TR is helpful to people with learning disabilities and a wide range of mental illnesses. Psychologically, TR increases self-esteem and self-confidence. Besides these benefits, interacting with horses is simply enjoyable for our participants, while offering a positive experience for family members, caregivers and volunteers who witness and share each participant's achievements. Riding is fun!
NWTRC provides horsemanship and riding lessons to people of all ages and abilities. Each individual's goals are targeted in group and private lessons taught by PATH Intl. certified instructors.
Read what people are saying about their experiences at the Northwest Therapeutic Riding Center.